Monday, July 18, 2011

Polish Deli Pyza (Polish)

Polish food has a special place in my heart....one of the best food experiences of my life was in this little second-story building that my colleague and I stumbled across on the outskirts of Warsaw.  It was a cold, wet night and we were starved for some authentic Polish food.  We started down the road and asked a couple of fellow pedestrians where the locals in the neighborhood went to eat. In broken English, they directed us down the street.  As soon as we walked in, it felt right.....low lights, the fireplace burning, the clink of glasses toasting, a rumble of laughter, and the fragrant complimentary smells emanating from the tables.  We found a cozy booth and started off by asking the waiter for her suggestion on Polish 'beverages,' which she got spot on. Trusting her judgment from there on out, we ordered appetizers and a dinner that was fit for royalty.


While I know that my every sense was engaged that misty night, I can't help but now recall Polish food as having a magical and nostalgic place in my heart.  Who doesn't find comfort in meats, vegetables, noodles, and sauces? So, you can imagine how thrilled I was when I found the Polish Deli Pyza, a local eatery that not only imports Polish goods, but also serves up Polish staples: golabkis (stuffed cabbage), pierogis (dumplings), bigos (hunter's stew), nalesniki (blintzes), kielbasa, etc.


To authenticate the eating experience, I took my Warsaw-food-adventure colleague with me.  He and I split golabkis (stuffed cabbages) and meat pierogis (dumplings).  While not quite the same uber-sensory experience as in Warsaw, the tastes were definitely a throw-back to happy times in Poland.  The question for me is always would I return?  And the answer is, YES. There's nothing in south Florida that can replicate the  down-home goodness of Polish cuisine.....that is unless you have a Polish grandma (and if that's the case, hook me up!!).




Check it out:
2663 E. Atlantic Blvd.
Pompano Beach, FL  33062
Tel.  (954) 601-2399

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so happy to know that there is a Polish Deli in South Florida! I no longer have to bring home stuffed cabbage and pierogis from Chicago anymore. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your polish friend seem to have missed the fact that everything is frozen. The food is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have had a bad food day, which can happen anywhere. While I realize that the food is frozen (c'mon, it's an import store), it's not easy to find Polish cuisine and this was decent...or at least on the day that I went. I have not been back, so I don't know if I lucked out. If you do know of other Polish places, let us know!

    ReplyDelete