Thursday, March 24, 2011

Alegria Tacos (Mexican)

"Heaven... I'm in heaven...And the cares that hung around me through the week...Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak..."  The first bite of my tacos al pastor had me singing that song.  Simply put, divine.  As they state in their tagline, Alegria Tacos is "the place for damn good tacos."  I second that motion (and I think my adventurous and congenial colleagues (who have to put up with my foodiness) do too)!!  Quite frankly, they are probably the best I've had here in south Florida.  You can't tell me that your internal soundtrack wouldn't go off when you saw this... tres tacos... al pastor (marinated pork with pineapple) y carne asada (steak) y carnitas (fried pork)...


Or this.... torta al pastor (marinated pork sandwich about the size of a small child)


Or this...burrito de carne asada  (beef burrito, thicker than a lumber-jack's fist)


Or if those don't speaka 'ur language, I'm sure something off of this will :)


If you are a Coke drinker, get the full Mexican experience and order an imported bottle of Coke.  Why the bottle?  According to one source, "Your best bet for getting Coke’s pure, unaltered taste is to drink it from a glass bottle, the most inert material it’s served in."  And, why from Mexico?  Well, because Coke bottled in Mexico is made with real sugar instead of that high fructose corn syrup!  That's right.  "Drinks made with real sugar have a clean sweetness and light mouthfeel to them, while those made with corn syrup have heavy mouthfeel and a cloying sweetness."  Much better for sure, and for you baby boomers, more of a throw-back to your childhood when Coke actually tasted like it was supposed to.  There's just something about that hour-glass figure!

You'll want to get there early, so that you have a place to sit, but certainly don't exchange the experience for a place to sit; in other words, stand if you have to.  Yes, it's that good.  The staff are incredibly friendly, and if I were you, I'd ask them what they'd have and just say "yes!"


I would have never known that this gem was here had it not been by word-of-mouth, so tell a friend, take someone, or share my blog (ahem!!!), just tell everybody about Alegria Tacos!


Check it out:
Alegria Tacos
3801 N. Andrews Ave.  (corner of 38th St)
Oakland Park, FL  33069
Tel. (954) 563-7170

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it. I'm always looking for the next great taco! ~michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. just went with Pete.....pretty good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete