Monday, March 21, 2011

Pal' Rancho (Colombian)

First of all, let me apologize for no pictures this post...I wanted to hurry up and get this out so that you, the reader, can get your butt over to Pal' Rancho!!  I have every intention on revisiting this place in the near future and will amend this post with pictures when I do :)

Ever since my time in Colombia, I've been trying to find a local place that can come close to the flavors I experienced there. I, along with my latin friends, have tried several Colombian joints off the main roads here in south Florida, but none of us have had anything that would have us saying "we need to come back here."  One of my friends saw Pal' Rancho one day and suggested that it be given its fair try, so I took an Argentine and an Colombian friend with me to authenticate the experience.  Before long, we all were saying "we need to come back here!!!"

I should have known I'd enjoy it by the first thing to come across our table...blended passion fruit juice (jugos en agua/maracuya).  Every time I taste passion fruit, I'm immediately exported abroad; it's like I go on automatic vacation mode -- there's something exotic in the tanginess. Then, we were given chips (not sure about that being Colombian, but it was still nice to take the edge off of my appetite) with a spicy vinegar-based chili-pepper sauce (not your typical salsa).

Having waited the day to eat, my eyes were probably bigger than my stomach, and I ordered Entraña, which included grilled skirt steak, french fries, and a salad. As I love a 'pop' in flavor, I drenched my steak in chimmichuri and the pepper-vinegar salsa...I was quite content to say the least.  My friends ordered the Bandeja Paisa (grilled steak, pork rind, rice, beans, fried egg, and plantains) and Oxtail soup --I think I could have had a plate of chicharrón (pork rind).  Pretty decent sized portions....though not large enough for me to take my husband leftovers (or maybe I just ate more than I should have!).  My friends completely showed me up, as they were thoughtful enough to order their husbands dinner and have it ready to go when we left; feeling the pressure, I ordered a couple of empanadas to go....I should have ordered ten!! They were delicious, probably the best I've had.  My poor husband got jipped a dinner and a quarter of an empanada :)

This place was great and received an 8 out of 10 by my Colombian :)  Definitely worth your money and time.

Check it out: 
5637 Coral Ridge Dr.
Coral Springs, FL  33076
Tel.  (954) 340-4611

2 comments:

  1. Loved the post! Glad I got to experience Pal Rancho with you girls. I really enjoyed the company and the food ;) Next time, lets try and leave some room for desert!

    -xoxo, The Argentine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Argentine, I'm ready to try your place next! :)

    ReplyDelete