Saturday, February 19, 2011

International Food Market (Lebanese)

"I haven't been able to find good Lebanese food like my Grandma's, but this place, this is great food!" she said as we waited for our wraps to be made.  I didn't know this lady at all, but I noticed her as she came through the front door and walked straight through the market to behind the refrigerators. I followed her around thinking that there might be something else around the corner, and there it was....a made-to-go bistro. As I stood looking at the menu, one of the cooks started asking me what I fancied and offered the Chicken Taouk. He had me at "pickles and garlic sauce"-nothing else mattered. I said "yes, please!" And that's when my conversation with the lady began. According to her, this is the best place around for authentic Lebanese - so much so that she doesn't even bother cooking at home. I think she may be right, at least about the wraps!!

So, there it is, this little food treasure nestled in the International Food Market.  The market itself is a great find; it offers mainly Lebanese, Russian, and Brazilan goodies (though they have other stuff too). I wondered why the blend of countries, so I asked.  The market is actually located right in the heart of what the locals call Little Brazil, so they are catering to their community. The bulk of the store caters to Arabic and Eastern European cuisine, as the owner is half Russian/half Lebanese and his wife is Russian.  For you Russian food fans, you will be happy to know that starting next week, an extended menu will be introduced which includes Russian food. 


In addition to my Taouk, I walked away with freshly made Russian beef and farmer's cheese pastries and olives.  I think it will take me several trips to try all the olives!  Aw, who am I kidding...I'll be back just to work through the menu.

You are probably wondering what happened to my Taouk. I had every intention on taking a picture of it when I got home, so that you -the reader- could see what it looked like and imagine the complexity of flavors (pita, marinated chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, french fries and pickles drizzled with garlic sauce) exploding from it. Unfortunately for you, I got too excited and ate it before realizing I had missed my moment.  Oh well, you'll just have to go try it yourself (you'll probably find me there too).

Check it out:
420 E. Sample Rd.
Pompano Beach, FL  33064
Tel: (954) 784-4990

No comments:

Post a Comment