Saturday, February 12, 2011

Priya's Roti Shop (Trini)

Doubles and curry goat roti...it's what's for dinner. 

If you've never experienced Trini (or as the British would say, West Indian) cuisine, you are missing out.  Something between Indian and Caribbean, it brings a delightfully exotic dynamic to your everyday, ho-hum life.  Luckily, I am fortunate to know a few Trinis, and have had exposure to 'home-cooked' island cuisine.  When I get a hankerin' for some island goodness and can't shimmy my way into my friends' kitchen, I roam the internet or streets for a roti shop.  And that's exactly how I found this place.

Secluded and hid in a strip mall, one would probably very easily drive by and never notice it was there.  I'm not sure why it caught my eye, but I'm glad it did.  As it is right around the corner from where I live, I plan on working my way through the menu.  For now, I've tried curried goat roti and doubles.  So what is that?  The first is a yellow curry with goat meat wrapped in an unleavened flat fried bread (roti).  Doubles are roti sandwhiches filled with curried chick peas (channa), usually served with a variety of chutneys or pepper (the Trini pronunciation would be more like "peppa") sauce.

Yum-o....and better yet, they specialize in "to go" orders. Here's a helpful hint: if you are taking the curried roti dinners (goat, chicken, oxtail.....that's right, you heard me, oxtail) to go, be sure to ask for the roti on the side, so that it's not soggy by the time you get home.


As your mama used to say, don't judge a book (or in this case, a roti shop) by it's cover.  Get out of your comfort zone and try it.  Viva Trinidad & Tobago!!

Check it out:  http://priyasfoods.com/
8007 W. Sample Road
Coral Springs, FL 33065
Tel 954.345.0559

1 comment:

  1. I get hungry just reading your posts....how fun to live where you are able to experience so many different foods.

    ReplyDelete